Scottish Hydro Electric Tariffs Review
The group Scottish Hydro Electric are part of the Scottish and Southern Group and supply all manner of utilities for homes in Scotland. Here’s our review.
As you can image the Scottish Hydro Electric tariffs are broadly based on the other companies that Scottish and Southern own but they do have their own special deals. You can get quotes for electricity and gas energy supplies as well as telecommunication services such as broadband. Although they are mainly for Scottish customers if you key in a UK postcode into their website for a quote you’ll get products from their sister companies.
List of tariffs offered by Scottish Hydro Electric
There are a raft of tariff options from the Scottish Hydro Electric company which could explain why consumers in Scotland find choosing and switching energy companies a bit of an ordeal (research published by consumer focus suggested there were very low levels of switching suppliers in Scotland). However, all the relevant information is supplied on the website and although it will take time to go through all the tariffs we are sure that there is one for your home :
- Value energy deals – there are six tariffs in this group designed to keep costs as low as possible. Some tariffs come with a free energy monitor so you can see at a glance how much electricity you are using. Others offer discounts against other products that they offer. The tariffs are called better plan, energyplus Argos (with discounts at Argos), fixed pricing, go direct, online account and standard energy
- Eco Energy Deals – although not all of these tariffs come with 100% renewable energy they are design to help you be more energy efficient and you get rewarded with the more energy you save. The tariffs are called better plan, RSPB energy (with 100% renewable energy) and online energy where you manage your account online
- Smart Energy Deals – the only tariff is the same one mentioned above with is the better plan tariff which comes with a free energy monitor
- Supporting energy deals – where you get to support a charity with a small donation (but watch out for the prices because they are all on standard tariff and it’s better if you choose one of the discounted plans and then make the donation separately yourself)
So although the website has split the tariffs into groups there are actually just a small few to choose from and they are :
- Standard tariff with or without a daily standing charge
- Better plan tariff (same as standard tariff)
- Energy plus Argos (same as standard tariff)
- Energy plus pulse (same as standard tariff)
- Go direct 3
- RSPB (higher than standard tariff but it is from 100% renewable energy)
So although there are a number of tariff names they are all on the same rates. It’s best if you use a price comparison website because they will present the rates a little easier for you to compare.
Main ways to save money at Scottish Hydro Electric
As with all utility companies if you take away administration from them then they will reward you. Paying by monthly direct debit provides a 5% discount and managing your account online gives you another 6.5% discount. There are also dual fuel discounts but these have been reduced in recent months.