Southern Electric Electricity Prices Tariffs and Rates Review
Southern Electric provide electricity and gas supplies for any UK household. Here’s a review of their products and prices.
Southern Electric is one of the original UK energy companies having started operations back in 1948 and is today quoted on the London Stock Exchange (FTSE) and is owned by Scottish and Southern Energy Group and has over 9 million UK customers.
They generally get voted as best in class at many industry awards or by comparison websites and have been voted best overall energy supplier by uSwitch in six straight years.
Southern Electric Products
The range of products just for electricity supplies is immense and may take you a while to work out what is what and the best prices or rates that you can get. So to help you here’s a run down of their product portfolio.
- Better plan – this tariff is geared to saving you money if you reduce your energy consumption by 10%. It also matches each unit of electricity you use with hydro electric power so is also helping the environment. This plan is only available on dual fuel tariffs or if your home only has electric power. You can also get rebates if you buy some of their other products for example if you buy a boiler from them. New customers can receive a £40 voucher if they sign up online.
- Go direct – this is their cheapest tariff and you manage everything online and pay via direct debit. There is an exit fee of £50 if you switch out of this rate band within 14 months of signing up
- Fix priced product – receive fix prices discounted by 10% from the standard electric tariff and 4% on gas for up to 14 months. None of these rates have a standing charge applied.
- Energyplus Argos tariff- this entitles you to get a 10% discount on all Argos and homebase products whilst you have this tariff. The prices are based on their standard tariff.
- Standard energy tariff – as it says this is their standard product but you also get the £40 discount when signing up online
- Energyplus Pulse – is their standard tariff but Southern Electric will donate £10 to the British Heart Foundation on your behalf
- RSPB Energy Tariff – this is the standard environment “green” tariff where all your electricity is supplied from renewable sources. They will also donate £20 to the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds on your behalf.
Ways to save money with Southern Electric Tariffs.
Like most energy suppliers Southern Electric have certain incentives to reduce your bills even further. Here’s our guide to saving more money on their tariffs.
- Sign up online and receive a £40 M&S voucher (new customers only of course)
- Pay by monthly direct debit saves a further 5%
- Choose a dual fuel plan and save more
With energy prices rising and falling many times during the year it can be hard to choose the right plan. Currently Southern Electric rates for dual fuel standard tariff are £1,193 per annum for an average use customer compared with British Gas which is £1,127. These may change in time but there are better rates on the market which you may want to explore although if you can reduce your energy consumption by 10% the better plan could be a good tariff if you want to stay with Southern Electric as your electricity supplier.
Other Articles of Interest