Find Cheap Electricity and Gas Suppliers in the UK
Apart from the big 6 energy companies there are others you could try to get a quote from to see if their tariffs are any cheaper. Here’s information on them all.
Most people in the UK are on standard tariffs so it’s why to have a list of electricity suppliers and gas providers so you can either go to their websites for information or use a price comparison website. Here are the main suppliers and provides in the UK.
The big 6 Energy Suppliers
These are the companies you would have heard of either because they are your incumbent supplier, you have heard of them through TV advertising of some kind or have switched to them to reduce your energy bills. Most of the standard prices are very similar and they all have special online deals and fixed term discounts that could reduce your bills even further.
- British Gasare the UK’s traditional gas supply company and also provide competitive electricity tariffs and prices available for every home and business in the UK. They tend to be the first to cut and also increase prices and have recently been extremely competitive with pricing and discounted tariff options. It’s always best to include British Gas in your shopping list when looking for energy prices. More on British Gas and their tariffs.
- Npower are now German owned and are famous for their green “juice” tariff
- Southern Electric and Scottish Power are part of the massive Scottish and Southern group and both have great discounted online plans including the go direct tariffs.
- Eonwas formally known as Powergen and have some of the cheapest tariffs in the UK and you can earn Tesco clubcard points as well.
- EDF energy is a French owned company and you can earn Nectar points to spend at places like Sainsburys
These are known as the big six energy suppliers for gas and electricity in the UK but there are other companies you can elect to have your energy from. These range from new independent companies to others that specialise in green only power. On each website the company must declare their fuel mix so you’ll be able to see how much electricity is coming from traditional sources and how much (and more precisely exactly where) renewable green energy is sourced from.
The other companies in the UK include the following :
- Ecotricity for green energy
- Green energy UK
- Ovo Energy
- First Utility
- Sainsbury’s energy (from Edf)
- Atlantic gas and electric
- Utility warehouse
- Marks and Spencer energy
- Spark energy
- Good Energy
If you are paying a standard tariff for your energy then you will be guaranteed to be saving money by switching to any of the companies above and paying by direct debit. Tariff options vary greatly and the difference between the very cheapest and the most expensive can be around £800 based on all scenarios. So whoever you are using at the moment, especially if you are paying by cheque or cash then you should go onto your favourite price comparison website to find the cheapest electricity and gas suppliers for your postcode today.