British Gas Electricity Tariffs and Prices Review
British Gas was the incumbent gas supplier for the whole of the UK but even now after deregulation they provide competitive quotes for gas and electricity for home and business use. Here’s our review.
Although British Gas are seen as expensive they sometimes come out on top for pricing and their UK coverage is still second to none. These days you can get quotes for gas, electricity or both under their dual fuel system (meaning you simply get both energy sources from one supplier). They have four main electricity tariffs with different pricing structures.
They have just introduced a new energy smart system which sounds grand but is a method to let them know what you meter readings are which you enter online. Electric bills are then calculated on what you tell them so there are none of the massive over estimated bills that we know and loathe any longer. Of course you are doing a little bit of the work for them but at least each bill you receive will be 100% accurate.
By using the energysmart system they suggest you may save £100 per year although really this should be £0. If you sign up to their dual fuel tariff they’ll also knock off £40 in your first year. A nice little bonus.
British Gas Electricity Tariffs
British gas operate four main electricity tariffs with prices to match. They are not all that different but various offers means you sign up for a contract lasting for up to 18 months with a cancellation fee which wipes out any saving if you do have to cancel. Here are the basics:
- Standard tariff – The standard tariff is available with the energy smart system outlined above and you pay monthly by direct debit. This is their most expensive option but there is not cancellation fees if you wish to move to another supplier. Their offers are:
- Websaver 4 and 5 – The current best offer which provide a 6% discount for 12 months although once this is finished you are put onto the standard tariff for a further 3 months and if you cancel there is a £30 fee.
- OnlineSaver – Provides a 3% discount for up to 16 months without any cancellation.
The websaver and online saver are not currently available with the energy smart system. They both require you to manage your account online so you will not receive a paper bill through the post.
There is a green “future energy” option that means all electricity supplied to your home is from renewable sources such as wind power and water. You also get a free standby saver.
Dual Fuel – Electricity and Gas
Like with most energy suppliers in the UK to get the best deal with them you should opt for a dual fuel tariff which means getting both electricity and gas from the same company and British Gas is the same in this arena.
Additional discounts are available if you take both products and you are also able to fix your bills with their “track and save” product currently called track and save 2011 because prices are fixed until January 2011 at a 2% discount from their current tariff.
Ways to save with British Gas Electricity
To get the best deal from British Gas we have the following advice:
- Manage your account online with one of the websaver or online saver tariffs
- Opt for direct debit billing
- Opt for a dual fuel tariff for gas and electricity which provides further discounts
For more information on British Gas please visit their website
Other Articles of Interest