SWALEC Electricity and Gas Tariffs Review
The energy company known as SWALEC is part of the massive Scottish and Southern energy group that is now the 2nd largest supplier of energy to UK homes and businesses in the UK. They target people in Wales which is where their roots belong but can supply electricity and gas to anyone in the UK.
SWALEC electricity and gas prices are for folks in Wales so if you go to their website for a quote and live in England you’ll be re-directed to the southern electric website which we have a review on this website.
For Welsh customers although there are no specific deals for living in Wales this is your local energy provider (although part of a big multinational FTSE100 company) so you may wish to use them just for this reason.
Products and services
As you would expect SWALEC have many options to choose from when it comes to electricity, gas or both under their dual fuel options. They are a bit mean with their direct debit discount which provides just a 5% reduction whereas most other energy providers discount from between 8% and 10% but it’s a discount nonetheless. Their products are as follows:
- The standard tariff where the prices will fluctuate as they are increased or reduced during the year
- Standard tariff online which offers a 1.5% discount from the standard tariff – you have to pay by quarterly direct debit which also sees a further 5% discount. All customers that apply online also receive a £40 rebate on their first years energy bill if you opt for a dual fuel tariff
- Price fix currently version 4 which provides a 4% discount on the standard tariff (and 10% off economy 7) for about 18 months depending on when you sign up. You can apply online and you also receive the £40 rebate mentioned above.
- Energyplus Argos – This is a standard scottish and southern product which puts you on standard tariff but you get a 10% discount off all your purchases at Argos. If you were going to choose standard then you may as well get the Argos Energy Plus and save money on your shopping bills
- Energy Plus Pulse – Is a bit of a waste of time because you get put onto the standard tariff and SWALEC donate a paltry £10 to the British Heart Foundation. You should choose a better deal and then donate the £10 yourself and opt for gift aid so they get your income tax rebate as well.
- RSPB energy tariff is interesting because whatever energy you use SWALEC match it from renewable sources and they’ll also donate £20 to RSPB. We’re unsure of the pricing because it’s not on their website so check to see what it’ll be.
- Welsh Rugby tariff is an attempt to get you on standard tariff and support your local club but as with the pulse tariff above you may as well get a better deal and donate the paltry £20 yourself
Many of these tariffs offer you a £40 rebate off your energy bill if you apply online for dual fuel tariffs but only £20 for a single fuel tariff. Additionally there is the direct debit discount. Unless you really want to use SWALEC as a local supplier then our advice is to use one of the price comparison websites or British Gas.