Finding the Cheapest Dual Fuel Prices Online
When it comes to saving money on utility bills sometimes it pays to opt for a dual fuel tariff so just how do you find the best prices ? Go online and do some searching….
The great thing about today is you can find the cheapest dual fuel prices from the major energy companies by searching online either via price comparison websites or by going directly to each provider in turn.
What is a dual fuel tariff ?
Dual fuel simply means you get both your electricity and gas supplies from the same company under one tariff. There are some advantages and disadvantages to opting for this type of pricing scenario though :
- Advantages of a dual fuel tariff – are that you get one bill from one company rather than two bills from two different companies. This may be great from an administration view point so you know you only have one company to deal with. More often than not you’ll be able to enter your own meter readings on their website so you’ll only have to log in the once. There used to be one off yearly discounts applied to your account if you took out both fuels from one company but these have recently been vastly reduced so the discount is on a fuel by fuel basis (ie: energy companies have reduced the dual fuel discount and placed it onto buying electricity or buying gas so the days of getting a big bonus are gone now).
- Disadvantages of a dual fuel tariff – the main draw back now is that a tariff that covers both fuels may not be as competitive as purchasing your electric and gas supplies from different companies. The best plan of action is to get quotes from price comparison websites for electricity, gas and dual fuel tariffs separately and add the costs together for single fuel and see what the best overall prices are.
Getting the best deal
As mentioned above the discounts for buying both fuels from one supplier have been vastly reduced although there are some small additional reductions to be had. To get the best deals on your energy supplies investigate the following:
- Get an electricity quote for your postcode and note down the best deal
- Do the same for gas and dual fuel prices
- You’ll get additional discounts by paying by monthly direct debit so ensure those are in the prices you have been quoted
- Sometimes there are special offers and points you may collect such as nectar so see if those are available
- Always the best deals and prices can be had online – so once you have the prices from your favourite price comparison website go directly to the energy provider’s website and check that the prices quoted are the same
This research should take only 30 minutes or so but at the end of the day if you are currently on a standard tariff you may save yourself around £300 per year by switching. To switch to another provider is easy and the company you choose will do all the paperwork and switching for you.